hamradioweb.org

Go Back   hamradioweb.org > Discussioni / Areas of discussion > Foreign Visitors Area

Notices

Foreign Visitors Area This area is reserved to all HamRadioWeb forum "foreign" members. All kinds of ham radio related arguments are welcome here ! Please, respect the mandatory language of this subsection: posting is allowed only in english.

Old 24-09-17, 13:07   #1
sm7vzx

Icom IC-7400 / IC-746 Pro on 2m SSB/CW (VHF contesting)?

Hello,

Does anyone use the Icom IC-7400 (IC-746 Pro) on 2m SSB and CW? How does it perform? Is the receiver good enough for VHF contesting without a preamp? How does it stand up to strong signals in a contest? I'm not really too bothered by its HF performance.

Thanks.

Samir, sm7vzx
sm7vzx non   collegato   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-17, 20:43   #2
IZ0IEN

Re: Icom IC-7400 / IC-746 Pro on 2m SSB/CW (VHF contesting)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm7vzx View Post
Hello,

Does anyone use the Icom IC-7400 (IC-746 Pro) on 2m SSB and CW? How does it perform? Is the receiver good enough for VHF contesting without a preamp? How does it stand up to strong signals in a contest? I'm not really too bothered by its HF performance.

Thanks.

Samir, sm7vzx
I had a 7400 in the past.
100 W fair enough to break the pileup on the ISS with 4 elements yagi "human rotor"
Sensitivity is high , i think IP2 and IP3 are too low with pre1 - suffers from QRO contest stations in the fews VHF contest i participate and/or listened.
Without internal pre is good. Unfortunately the VHF traffic on my QTH is too low to compare it with a V/U dedicated RTX like a icom 910 or better the old series IC 275 - i love the 275 btw
In HF, probably one of the best entry levels decent radio that icom ever made in the first 2000 decade.

Best 73, see you on the other side of the antenna.
Member of SOC - Second Operator Class
Orgoglioso cultore del CW a correzione d'errore.
IZ0IEN non   collegato   Reply With Quote